Friday 2 October 2009

Tom Eglington: The Spellbound Hotel

Earlier this year, Tom Eglington had his first book - The Spellbound Hotel - published. He takes over the blog this week to tell us more about himself and the weird but wonderful world he sets his stories in.


Hello.

My name is Tom Eglington and in May of this year I had the pleasure of having my first novel published. It is called The Spellbound Hotel (in case you were wondering) and begins, like all great stories do, with a village where everyone is addicted to sausages and a bizarre soap opera called ‘What About Dave?’ Sound strange? Well, to be honest, it just gets stranger from there on in. There are shadows that run free, terrified ghosts, a mischievous pooka called Mr Quinn and a hotel that has a sinister life of its own, not to mention a giant trapped in a pit being forced to eat fossils. And don’t get me started about the cleaning ladies.



I blame school. You see, when I was a young lad growing up in Edinburgh I would walk to school each morning with a friend. And each morning, with nothing better to do, I would think up ideas for stories. Sometimes these would be good ideas, sometimes not so good. Eventually, though, my friend suggested I write some of these stories down. So I began to scribble, scribble, scribble. And that, as they say, is how it all started…


More information about Tom, as well as games and some 'Truly Awful Jokes' can be found on his website.

Other news:


Next week is Children's Book Week and to celebrate we're doing two fantastic events in Edinburgh and Glasgow with authors Barbara Mitchelhill and Darren Shan! Keep an eye on the website and the blog for more from the authors.







The Green Pencil Award 2009 was launched at the end of August. The competition is open to pupils within the Primary 4 to Primary 7 age range attending an Edinburgh school, and the deadline is 16th October. For details see the Green Pencil Award website.

No comments: